Yoga Therapy Diploma
13 Oct – 30 Apr 2019
1 Britannia Row, London N1 8QH
Between 2006 and 2010 Yogacampus was training yoga therapists in conjunction with the Yoga Biomedical Trust (YBT). Since early 2012 Yogacampus has been offering its own specially redesigned Yoga Therapy Diploma that is accredited by the British Council of Yoga Therapy (BCYT) and which meets the National Occupational Standards for Yoga Therapy set by the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC). This new course has been developed to include detailed input from some of the most highly respected yoga therapists in the UK. We have retained all that was good about the earlier course and also included new material appropriate to the growing role and status of a yoga therapist within the natural health care community.
Like our highly acclaimed Yoga Teacher Training Diploma, we have a core faculty of widely respected teachers and yoga therapists, supplemented by experts in relevant fields to bring their differing perspectives to the course. The training provides a balanced mix of theory and practical work, with an emphasis on viewing a person from an holistic perspective, so that students gain an understanding of how to tailor a practice to an individual, rather than relying on prescriptive practices for particular conditions. The development of practical skills is based on the student’s own explorations and experience of working with clients with medical conditions, both in our supervised training clinic and on their own, with the support of tutors and mentors. The course offers a comprehensive and in-depth perspective of yoga therapy with a flexible approach that gives support for individual learning styles.
This training provides 320 contact hours of tuition and consists of;
- 2 Foundation Modules which will provide an initial grounding in the important topics of The Practical Philosophy of Healing (next running 01/02 July 2017) and Intuition and Ethics, Intimacy and Boundaries: How to BE a Yoga Teacher and Therapist (next running 09/10 September) . These Foundation Modules are open to anyone with an interest in yoga therapy and mandatory for those who wish to go on and complete the Diploma. In order to start the Diploma, you must have both of these modules completed within 24 months of the course start date.
_(Please note that the module dates mentioned above will only run on these dates before the Diploma starts and you are encouraged to attend both if you wish to start the programme in October.) _
- Diploma Modules: 28 days of mandatory tuition spread over 10 modules (typically 3 day weekends of Friday to Sunday, roughly once every 7 weeks). See Module Schedule opposite.
- 24 hours of elective tuition: you will be required to take 24 hours of tuition from a range of elective modules which will include yoga therapy for specific conditions (e.g. ME and chronic fatigue, women’s conditions) and opportunities to study aspects of yoga therapy in more depth. At least 12 hours of the 24 need to be taken with Yogacampus. You may count eligible elective hours done up to 12 months before starting the course in October. To see a full list of eligible electives, please click here.
- Significant practical work within our student led yoga therapy clinic at Islington, London N1, which we believe is the only dedicated UK yoga therapy clinic. The clinic gives students hands-on experience of working with real clients and is where they learn to apply the course teachings, under supervision and guidance from experienced yoga therapists. The clinic operates on a Thursday afternoon (from 12.30 to 18.30) and you will be required to attend once between October and December 2017 to observe and then 3 – 4 times per term (total 9 times) during 2018 as a yoga therapist working under the supervision of the clinic supervisor. Clinic sessions before modules will be reserved for those students with the furthest to travel – please do contact us to discuss if this is relevant to you. You will also be required to have at least 3 sessions of yoga therapy yourself during the course in order to experience yoga therapy.
The core tuition of 32 days (including the Foundation Modules) will include teachings on:
- what yoga philosophy can tell us about health, healing and the relief of suffering
- less widely known practices particularly suitable for use in yoga therapy, including yoga nidra, restorative yoga, pawanmuktasana
- how to use asana, pranayama and meditation practices in yoga therapy
- building the therapeutic relationship: communication and listening skills
- case history taking and client assessment
- the body as an energetic system and its impact on internal disorders
- common medical conditions
- pain and its management, psychological issues around pain, and dealing with grief and trauma
- yoga therapy for mental health
- yoga approaches to structural therapy
- practical training in working with clients
Assessments and written work
The course includes a number of assessed written assignments which include:
- 3 in-depth case studies. Upon starting the Diploma Modules you will be assigned a Case Study Supervisor with whom you will work as you complete your 3 case studies
- A yoga therapy project on a topic of your choice
- A medical conditions assessment (completed at home with your notes)
- Other written work for individual modules
In addition you will have 2 practical assessments of you working as a yoga therapist.
1st application deadline: 5pm on 10 April 2017
Interviews: Saturday 06 May 2017
2nd application deadline: 5pm on 24 July 2017
Interviews: Saturday 2 September 2017
Please complete the downloadable application form above and submit it by email to email@example.com . See above for application due dates
The course is open to all qualified yoga teachers who have at least 1 year of consistent teaching experience of at least 120 hours. Your prior training course must have included at least 180 contact hours of tuition and since qualifying you will have undertaken continuing professional development of at least 15 hours per year. We also ask that you have been practising yoga regularly for at least 4 years and provide references from your primary yoga teacher and from someone who knows you as a yoga practitioner.
Join Joyce McMiken, Marcos Rodriguez and philosophy teacher Arvind Pare at Basunti at the foot hills of the Himalayas for an experience of a life time. The venue is set in beautiful tropical gardens; Harpers & Queen described it as ‘So laidback, it’s almost horizontal’.
Join Jeff Phenix for a full schedule and spectrum of yoga practices at St Katharines, Parmoor, an historic Victorian Country Manor near Marlow in Buckinghamshire.
Imagine… the September sun warming your face. The sound of the water lapping the shore. Find stillness and peace as you move, meditate and soak up one of the most breathtaking landscapes in Europe.
Join Joyce McMiken for a weekend of deep rest and relaxation in a beautiful and peaceful setting. The main sessions will be restorative in nature; aimed at releasing physical and emotional tension but there will be a shorter more dynamic practice pre breakfast to help everyone wake up!
Join Sweaty Betty ambassador Gemma Soul, LiEBES and International Obstacle Course Runner and London PT George Edwards for a summer retreat at the stunning Casa Lakshmi Luz in Ibiza. You can tailor this Wellness retreat to your own body’s desires and needs, whether you want a relaxing retreat or a fun energetic experience, all activities will be thoroughly nutritionally catered for and you will leave feeling refreshed, inspired and rejuvenated!
Join Jeff Phenix for an amazing week of transformative and inspirational yoga at La Locanda della Quercia Calante, a beautifully restored farmhouse, nestled in fertile Italian countryside close to the Tuscan border, just 150km/90miles north of Rome.
Experience the Magic of a Yoga Retreat In Italy!
“Stunning venue, great people and a really fantastic teacher. Best yoga retreat I’ve been on by a country mile…” Michelle Marks, London
The perfect Yoga Retreat in Italy … There is everything here to make your experience special, the yoga, the organic food and the stunning views, its all included!