The Life Centre Islington
Site Manager Job Description
The Life Centre
Established in 1993 in Notting Hill The Life Centre is widely recognised as one of the UK’s most highly regarded centres for yoga, pilates and complementary therapies. At the beginning of 2011 we opened our second centre is Islington, London N1 allowing us to bring yoga to a whole new section of the London yoga community. The Islington Centre is also the training home of our sister company Yogacampus, one of the UK’s leading yoga education organisations, offering yoga teacher training, yoga therapy training and a range of other yoga events.
We are looking for a vibrant and yoga loving Site Manager for the Islington Centre. This is a key role within the organisation with responsibility for the day to day running of the Islington Centre - you are in many ways the hub around which the smooth running of the Islington Centre revolves. You will be based at The Life Centre in Islington (which is 8 minutes walk from Angel tube) and will report to the Centre Manager who is in overall charge of both the Islington and Notting Hill Centres.
The Life Centre prides itself on the loyalty of its student and client base, but we also recognise that there is a great deal of competition in the yoga and complementary therapy fields, and the importance of ensuring that our students and clients have a positive experience each time they visit the Centre cannot be underestimated. With that overall goal in mind, your role will include:
- Management of the Islington Centre reception team, including managing rotas, overtime, holidays and cover and ensuring that receptionists are fully briefed on the activities of the Centre.
- Fulfilling the reception role for the hours you are on duty.
- Hiring and training of new receptionists and reception staff appraisals (in conjunction with the Centre Manager)
- Hiring and training of cleaning staff.
- General supervision of the reception and waiting areas, including stocking and management of retail supplies, posters, leaflets etc. and the prompt posting of appropriate information in relation to changes in classes, changes in Centre opening hours and any other matters affecting visitors to the Centre
- Organising therapists for the Centre, including ensuring a wide variety of treatments being available in the Centre, interviewing therapists, and organising therapists’ schedules, in conjunction with the Centre Manager.
- Day to day management of the yoga and Pilates class schedules, ensuring that all classes are covered where the regular teacher is absent and that workshops and courses are arranged and publicisedin good time
- Dealing with any customer complaints or issues, in conjunction with the Centre Manager.
- Answering Islington related emails and telephone calls.
- Management of daily banking, reconciliation of sales, and calculation of staff and therapists’ pay.
- Overall management of the Centre building, including ensuring that all areas of the building are kept clean and tidy and that all written material displayed in the Centre has been approved by you and is up to date.
- Overall responsibility for building maintenance, including liaison with service providers (electricians, plumbers, handymen etc).
- Responsibility for health and safety requirements, and for obtaining and renewing any certifications and licenses required.
In order to meet the requirements of the job, you will also need to be highly organised, meticulous in record keeping, self-motivated and keen to take responsibility. You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and the maturity to deal appropriately and sensitively with the Centre’s students and clients, as well as with staff and teachers. We would expect you to be a yoga practitioner with an understanding of the range and depth of the yoga tradition. Some understanding of complimentary therapies is also desirable.
You will also need to be computer literate and have a good working knowledge of Word and Excel. Familiarity with MindBody online software would be helpful, but training will be given if required.
Job location and terms of employment
You will be primarily based at the Islington Centre, Britannia Row, London N1. Whilst we are looking for a full time employee we would also consider a person fulfilling the role as 4 days a week. The current working hours of this role are 09:00-16:00 Monday to Friday, however some flexibility in terms of working hours would be desirable. You may occasionally be required to work overtime.
Your starting salary will be based on a full time salary of £25,000 p.a. The role also has the benefit of free classes at the two branches of The Life Centre, in Notting Hill and Islington, as well as a 25% discount on workshops and events organised by The Life Centre and/or Yogacampus.
How to apply
Please email your CV, together with a short explanation of why you believe that you would be suitable for this role to Martha Henneman, Site Manager firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive no later than Sunday 9th June 2013.
As part of our marketing campaign to promote the Life Centre we are looking for;
Karma Yoga - Flyering Volunteers
A number of yogis to hand out postcards at tube stations / local shops and businesses and also to leaflet drop in residential houses. Leafleting sessions will be in 2 to 3 hour "chunks" and be paid as a free Life Centre class for each 1 hour worked. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in this opportunity.
Karma Yoga - Voluntary Positions
For any of the positions below, your time will be valued and in return for your help and assistance, we will offer you free classes at The Life Centre. Please email your CV with contact details to Beverley Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or need any further information.
1. Cleaning - Friday mornings, Notting Hill Loft Kitchen
If you have some spare hours and would be able to help us out with cleaning our loft kitchen and studio, please get in touch.
2. Office Help - weekdays (generally Thursday and Friday), Queensway
If you have some spare hours and would be able to help us out in the office with some basic administration and ad hoc tasks, please get in touch.